It’s a fair question. To me, it boils down to two things:
- Staying healthy can help one be more productive in his/her work, with the energy to keep going and the mental sharpness to come up with ideas/solutions.
- Having good health allows one to enjoy his/her wealth and all of life’s activities.
If you happen to spend a lot of time sitting in front of a computer for work, whether at home or at an office, below are some tips you can apply right away.
- Stand up at least once an hour. Stretch your arms and legs, and take a deep breath.
- Move your eyes away from the computer screen every now and then. Look at something at a further distance than your monitor to let your eye muscles work.
- Set up your computer/desk/chair ergonomically. Maintain good posture by sitting up straight, keeping your feet flat, and looking straight ahead at the monitor instead of tilting your neck up or down.
- Try to eat a healthy lunch to avoid the afternoon slump. Keep healthy snacks as well, such as nuts and berries.
- Drink water instead of sugary drinks. Limit your caffeine intake; green tea will provide a less harsh dose of caffeine than coffee.
- Take a walk after lunch, preferably outside if weather permits, as you get fresh air and sunlight for Vitamin D production.
- Use the stairs instead of the elevator for a good leg workout.
- Park further away to increase your walk to/from the office.
- If you need to speak with a coworker, walk over to his/her desk instead of e-mailing/calling.
- While not necessarily related to physical health, avoid negativity and gossip. Positive energy.
- Maintain good hygiene to avoid the cold/flu. Wash your hands and occasionally clean clean desk.
Give it a shot. Hopefully these tips will help increase your productivity, energy, and quality of life.